Tuesday, June 9, 2009

shuffle ball-change

Guess what I did last night?

I started my first adult tap class of the summer. Yes, tap. As in, tap dance.

I danced as a kid forever...or 14, 15, 16 years...into college.

I took an adult class a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it but my life and work got in the way.

I figured I could use a little exercise this summer...something to take my mind off things. So I signed up and, as I expected, I enjoyed the class.

I feel a few unused muscles this morning but it's not too bad. The shim-sham dance kicked my butt. I've never been one for remembering the steps. Put someone in front of me and I can follow pretty darn well. Ask me to remember the steps. Nope. I am not a front row kind-of-girl.

It's a tap house...
Hope Update: Watching the puppy torture the old, fat cat is pure comedy. Beast (our cat) is pretty darn indignant about the walking-stuffed-animal now residing in our house. However, surprisingly, she hasn't clawed the puppy yet. She just puts up with being chased.

How sad is it that every single time I call Hope (we're trying to learn to "come"), the cat comes? I swear she thinks she's really a dog. Who has a cat that comes when called? However, luckily, lard-cat doesn't like puppy treats so at least she isn't trying to take them from her.

11 comments:

Andrea said...

Good for you - I admire people that can dance. I have two left feet that make even walking a bit dangerous! Most of all, good for you for doing something just for you.

Bijoux said...

My son tap danced from Kindergarten thru 6th grade. It was the best thing to watch, but those step names always cracked me up. Hope you have fun!

Monica said...

I wanted to take ballroom but can not get hubby to do it. So every now and then I go to the gym.

We too have a grumpy old (17 years) cat! We are twin like! Our dogs are smaller than she so when they go after her she just swats (she has no front claws) them and they go yelping. She also comes to me when I am trying to play with the puppies.

She thinks she is attention deprived. She is head butting me right now.

for a different kind of girl said...

Good for you for doing something nice for yourself! I would love to learn how to tap. I took an adult ed course a couple years ago, but never went beyond that. I may have to look into changing that!

Jasper Mockingbard said...

I'd prefer bar tap dancing. Beer is good.

All three of my cats come when called. They also tap dance like Gregory Hines!

DKC said...

I've always secretly wanted to be a dancer. My husband and I had a disastrous attempt at ballroom dancing so I don't think it's in my future.

I'm psyched for you that you are doing this! Something for you is a good thing.

Tiny Dancer said...

I love to dance! But tap ability seems to have skipped a generation in my family. My mom taps in a group, and my daughter has been taking lessons and performing rhythm tap since she was 5. I took one tap class as an adult. The teacher suggested I might like to try another style!
You rock!

Heather said...

I do dance class once a week!

Zip n Tizzy said...

That's awesome!
I would love to know how to dance, but, we all know how well I follow steps, so, I just dream about it.
Good for you though.
You're making all the right moves. (Pun and fun intended!)

Seriously said...

I am so proud of you! Next: Post Videos

antiwinterrr said...

I quit dance when I was little because I didn't like wearing tights. Probably for the best since I can't dance to save my life!

Lard cat. hahaha that's great. Check out that show "It's Me or the Dog" on Animal Planet... that dog trainer is UNBELIEVABLE! :)