Tuesday, August 18, 2009

tidbits

The first day of actual school has come and gone. It was good!

Can I have a collective "phew"?

Nothing traumatic or upsetting from Eldest. It was just a day. She wasn't happy, she wasn't sad, it was fine. And, to my way of thinking, that's just about as perfect as it could get.

Younger, who had her first day of high school, at the school that has made me a Cougar-mom, was all chipper and elation. It was like having a kindergartner again in that she would. not. shut. up. I heard every detail. What people were wearing (someone from the Catholic school had a daisy on her shirt, "like a little girl", and she was embarrassed for her)...lame principal jokes...introductions in geometry...who she sat by in biology...the chairs in the biology room...there are a LOT of cheerleaders...the gymnasts were spying on the volleyball players during try-outs (huh?)...John sang the national anthem with two other people...the English teacher is young, pretty and should be easy...the Latin teacher has his first student ever named Bridget (um...ok?)...this upper classmen boy, who was helping give tours on freshmen-only day was funny (oh dear)...Rachel was inappropriate and a spaz in her Geometry room...the Orchestra teacher says that half of what people say about him is not true, in fact, he does not eat kids (I suspect he lies, I've seen the man in action, he devours the undedicated). I hope the enthusiasm continues. I pray the useless detail drops off.

Second, I have been super bad about reading and commenting on all your blogs. Forgiveness please. I'll be by soon, I promise. Life continues to be a bit overwhelming.

We visited Grammy this past weekend. It appears that she started her final turn yesterday...guess she was waiting for a final visit from me...my brother was there last Monday. She definitely knew my name, but other than movements of recognition when I said my name, she made no sense at all. We held hands and I gave her a back rub and talked to her. It was sweet and felt good. I miss HER, but that shell of life...really just a husk...lying in that bed. It's time. It's past time.

I also attended my 25th high school reunion last weekend. It was very casual and laid back. As in, come hang around a bar and talk to people. No slideshows or formal dinners or bad 80's dances. I really enjoyed it. And now I'm exhausted because we were out until 1:00 a.m. both Friday and Saturday night.

I also wanted to share with you a very special anniversary present. No, it's not from Car-man...he did a FABULOUS job of his own...but this particular present is something the two of us received from my parents. My Dad drew our home. So here it is...the current great house:The man has mad skills.

17 comments:

Leslie said...

Mom just called. It's over.

Dibs said...

I'm glad she is at peace. My condolences for your loss, Laggin. I know how much you loved her.

Susan said...

I'm so glad you got to see her. Sweet how people wait just long enough, isn't it?

Your house is beautiful! It reminds me of my college campus, which is known for its architecture. Nice job, Laggin's Dad!

for a different kind of girl said...

I'm glad you got that final day with her. May she rest in peace.

I hope you frame that card drawn by your dad and place it somewhere in your home!

terin said...

Hugs for you. Love you.

mathgeek said...

Hugs to you, and to your mom (I'll write to her in the next few days).

Dread Pirate Davi said...

Well, she's finally at peace and whole again, wherever she is. On a lighter note...

Cougar-mom?? I'm concerned.

Leslie said...

Davi...silly girl...her high school's mascot is the Cougar, thus I am a Cougar-mom.

Bijoux said...

I'm sorry for your loss.

Nice digs; glad school went ok. Our first day is still a week away.

Heather said...

So sorry and glad you got to visit your mom at the end.

Vodka Mom said...

may she rest in peace...........

Carolyn...Online said...

I'm sorry for your grandmother. Mine all died so long ago...

But I'm glad for Eldest and for Youngest who is clearly feeling the thrill that can only come from being new to a school.

Trooper Thorn said...

Great sketch. Did you inherit the gift?

justmakingourway said...

Oh, sweets. I'm late and I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I'm glad you had some good time with her. Sending good thoughts to your Mom and family.

Your house is beautiful!

Zip n Tizzy said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, but I'm glad she's not in pain.

Elder- I remember a teacher saying to me my senior year, that I should look forward to the dailyness. The lack of drama meant it was a good day.

Younger- Ahh, the difference ten years makes! In kindergarten she would have been envious of that daisy shirt.

Tiny Dancer said...

I'm so glad school was good. And sorry for your loss. Hope your mom is ok, it's been a long time she's cared for her mom. Lovely sketch of your house. How nice it's by your dad!

Irish Gumbo said...

Hugs for you, from my heart.