Sunday, August 23, 2009

circles again

At the time Dave was dying, I wrote about circles...themes in life. I'm experiencing one now.

Back in January an old friend and I met up for lunch after reconnecting on Facebook. It had been YEARS since we had talked...like 25 years...or more. But when we had lunch it was immediately easy and happy and lunch turned into an afternoon with wine and a snowstorm. It was all good.

Late in the afternoon she briefly met Sasquatch (grrr) and Eldest and laughed at me with my teenage-girl problems. (Her time is coming!)

When our family entered hell this past spring, I didn't share it with Old Friend. It was too personal and icky. I guess I preferred sharing it with complete strangers on the Internet...and a few trusted friends who read here.

But I'm now beginning to think that Old Friend's reappearance in my life was not all coincidence. Fate might play a small role here.

You see, Old Friend and I met at that awful age of (imagine dramatic music here)...Junior High. Yes, we were awful early-teens together. But we were great friends in those years.

Then something happened. And truthfully, I don't remember the details...banished from my mind, I suppose. But "X" happened and we stopped being so close in high school. Really, I can remember feeling embarrassed that I wasn't friendly with her any more. But, for the life of me, I don't remember the "why".

So when our friendship started up again, it felt good to know that the silly, petty, teenage-girl crapola can be forgotten. We can be adult and let those by-gones be gone.

Fast forward to our high school reunion last weekend. She came from the East Coast. We dined and partied together. She met Car-man. We had a good time.

On Friday night...she made a comment that raised a small moment of old guilt. Remember, I don't remember the "why". But she said something indicating forgiveness, which felt good, but left me uneasily thinking, "Oh God. Was I a horrible person?"

Anyhow, on Saturday evening, after many beverages, Old Friend and I got all talky. I revealed a bit of what went on with Eldest this spring. She was kind. It culminated in me saying, "Well, Eldest attempted suicide and was hospitalized." It's kind of a conversation bombshell, ya know?

Old Friend's face melted into this lovely, soft and sad smile and she said, "That's what happened to me too, you remember?" And, of course, I hadn't. Not until she said it. Then I remembered bits of it; but no details.

So there's my circle. I really can't doubt that Old Friend will help me understand Eldest even better. That ultimately, she'll be a source of strength for me. Because right now? Old Friend seems to be doing GREAT. She's got great kids. She's got a good long-term job. She's a wonderful lady. And I didn't have her marked in my head as "the girl who tried to commit suicide". That wasn't a tag I had permanently marked her with. So this history and her life, give me hope.

I'm sure that Eldest's road will be different than Old Friend's...Eldest is facing so many issues. But I'll take hope from any angle of approach.
Yes. It's a circle house.

Here's to circles.
And to old friends.
Sometimes they are the perfect NEW friends, too.

14 comments:

Bijoux said...

Whoa......that's actually amazing. And I feel like you too about circles of life. Been doing a lot of reconnecting lately on FB. And I have to keep my yearbook handy, because names/places are failing me.

Susan said...

I'm so glad you wrote this. I miss my friend so much, who was in the same place as your Old Friend back in the day. She cut ties with all of us and I still don't know why.

But I do miss her, and would love for that friendship to come full circle.

Dread Pirate Davi said...

=)

And I like your new layout.

Andrea said...

I believe it is no coincidence that you and old friend reunited. I have had so many circles in my own life. Things start to make sense when you let the circle continue rather than break it. What a great story.

Monica said...

While I am sad that old friend had to go through such things. I am actually excited that you two reconnected and ahe may actually help you understand/deal with/vent to with your situation with eldest.

Talking with strangers is one thing, but having someone that has been there and can understand PLUS be a friend. Good as gold.

All my best.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes, just the right person is put in our lives at just the right time, for just the right reason.
Unfortunately... sometimes we don't realize it, so we don't get what we need out of it. I'm so glad you told her, and that she's someone who can (and seems like she will) help you with all you're dealing with with Eldest.

Amy said...

This is lovely. Kudos to you for keeping eyes, ears and heart open so that you could recognize the circle being drawn. I'll just bet your Old Friend will be a great source of insight and support.

Russ said...

I'm not a terribly religious person, but that does give me a pause. I'm glad you reconnected.

justmakingourway said...

How wonderful. (Not the circumstances of her or Eldest's difficulties, of course) But the reconnection of people in your life that you can benefit from as an adult.

JMOW

Susan said...

Wow. So glad you met up with Old Friend. Her insights will be invaluable, I'm sure.

Tiny Dancer said...

I think friends are circles (if you're into geometry, circles are your friends too!). I had a friend in jr high who I stopped hanging out with cuz my mom discouraged it. Luckily, we found each other again later and are close friends now. I got to tell her it had nothing to do with her, but with my mom & the gossip she listened to.

I'm not much of a believer in coincidence, so finding your friend again was probably meant to be. We all need all the help and friends we can get!

Zip n Tizzy said...

That's woderful that you've reconnected. She may also be a good resource for Elder someday. I think it's really important for teens to know that some of their most respected adult friends had a hard go of it once too.

Anonymous said...

i'm "old friend" and at this time i would like to remain anonymous.

you have no idea how much we are helping each other!

like you said i don't know what happened to cause so many years to go by, but frankly i really don't give a damn!

there is a reason we have reunited, and call it faith, fate, or God....but our journey has just begun!

Irish Gumbo said...

Hear, hear. And here's to making new circles! *clink*