Monday, August 24, 2009

good news and a contest

First...good news.  It's amazing how a little something good can lift the ole' spirits.  Younger made the Fresman volleyball team at her high school!  A rousing, roaring round of applause, please. 
This is a HUGE public high school.  Forty flipping freshmen went out for the team; overall 82 girls tried out for four teams.  After a nailbiter of a week, last Thursday evening we drove back to school at 9 p.m. to look at a list taped to the gym door.  I think both Younger and I felt like vomiting as we approached that list.  And there she was.  She was the first name on the freshman list so we didn't even have to fumble through the list (her placement was due to alphabetization, not skill or some-such other thing).  14 freshmen were placed on teams.  11 on the freshmen team; 3 on the sophomore team.  The coaches said it was one of the best talent pools they've had in a while.  So phew.  Just PHEW.  Here she is all decked out in her new team jacket:
Ok, so now for the contest.  Our favorite florist is at it again.  Instead of trying to be funny, I have decided YOU all shall be funny.  Write a caption or explanation for marketing this item in a flower store window and I shall pick a winner.  You don't get anything but accolades and the knowledge that at least I think you are funny.
Have at it:

10 comments:

Zip n Tizzy said...

"Despite the frightful economy, bring a smile to your loved ones today!"
(May we suggest a bouquet of fake roses or an easter egg tree...)

Congrats to Y. She's doin' great!!!

for a different kind of girl said...

Congratulations to Youngest! What a great start to the school year!

I'll have to think of a way to caption that photo. At first glimpse, I was rendered speechless. That business owner needs a Champer of Commerce luncheon meeting on marketing.

Heather said...

O.K. Does it come with the stuffed dolphin, just like that? Will it have flowers?

Congrats about the rest.

Bijoux said...

I survived the 70's & 90's and all I have left is this damn smiley face mug and a beanie baby?

cIII said...

Youngest,

Well done.

Caption:
Looks like it's Shark Week on PBS Sprout.

justmakingourway said...

Yay to Youngest! That rocks.

Caption:

"Candygram."

(Man, I hope someone gets that.)

Carolyn...Online said...

Oh I don't even care to be funny about the humping dolphin - I'm just so happy for Youngest! Congrats!

terin said...

I never doubted Youngest for a second.

Andrea said...

"Damn, I seem to have outgrown my bowl."

Congrats to Younger.

PS - I've been waiting for another picture from the flower shop!

Tiny Dancer said...

The DH suggests "The water leaked out of my fishbowl."

Congrats to Youngest, that's awesome.

(I got the Candygram reference).