Thursday, August 27, 2009

the tale of nasty thongs

If your teenage daugter has a deep love of her white, Old Navy flip-flops--a/k/a "thongs" to those of us of a certain age--and those white flip-flops aren't so white anymore, then this is a tale for you.

Younger loves, as in LOVE-loves, as in lurves, her white, Old Navy flip-flops.  Every year she buys four new pairs of Old Navy flip-flops--this costs her twenty-bucks during flip-flop sale weekend.  Every year she buys one white pair and three other colors that strike her fancy.  And every stinking year, the only pair she wears is the white pair.  She wears them until they are disgusting and icky and grodie.  She wears them until I'm dying to steal them and toss them.  And then a little voice in the back of my mind reminds me how much I hated it when my mother washed my white keds back in the 80's. 

I mean can you imagine WASHING YOUR KEDS?  They were supposed to be that nice dusty, dirty brown color.  Who wanted glow-in-the-dark whitey-white keds?  Gosh.

Sorry, that rant aside...the teenager-who-was-and-who-still-resides-within-my-head frequently reminds me to LAY OFF about the nasty thongs.  But seriously...look at these things:
Nice toe outline, huh?
Now imagine that you have an adorable white-fluff of a new puppy who loves chewing on things.  And imagine that you have repeated the following phrase umpty-bazillon times: "If you leave your shoes here on the floor, the dog is going to chew them up."  And then imagine that because such a statement is apparently issued at such a decible level as is unhearable by the average, American teen-age girl, you say, "Ok.  I'm done picking up your stupid shoes.  If the dog eats them; the dog eats them.  I. AM. NOT. BUYING. REPLACEMENT. SHOES." 
And then imagine that this statement is also ignored.  Shocking, isn't it?
So, if this all happened to you, would you be amused if you were presented with the opportunity to shoot this photo?
I was laughing so hard this morning --silently, of course, I'm not STUPID--when Younger discovered this little problem, that I didn't even have time to give her a motherly scowl when she called the puppy a "stupid effing puppy"!
Stupid, BRILLIANT puppy, is more like it. I only include the adjective "stupid" because, ICK, would you want to chew on that nasty thong?

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome.

I think this should be your profile photo on FB so we can have the opportunity to point and laugh. :)

Dibs said...

Good puppy!

justmakingourway said...

Good (and adorable!) puppy! I see your dog training is coming along nicely, laggin!

cIII said...

I'm going on 3 years with my flip-flops. Er, thongs. Those things could scare a Buzzard off a Shitwagon.

for a different kind of girl said...

Brilliant little pooch. Heart achingly adorable, too!

Zip n Tizzy said...

Classic!

I also remember how nerve wracking it was the first week of those white keds... trying to get them to not look so new!

Bijoux said...

From where I'm sitting, there are 8 pairs of truly nasty thongs in the vicinity of the front door. Fortunately, none are white, but trust me, the pink ones are just as gross.

Russ said...

SO not what I was thinking, and glad you didn't go there.

It sounds like you have your own "Clean up Troll"! We have had to institute one for Mr. B because he has not been cleaning up his toys.

terin said...

I love that dog! Maybe next year youngest should buy 4 pairs of white thongs, so she has spares.

Susan said...

I need a dog. Or anything that will threaten to eat all the stuff that's left on the floor. Maybe I'll start chewing the shoes myself?

Heather said...

I spray them with Lysol. The kids don't notice and I feel better.

Tiny Dancer said...

I'm so glad someone else calls them thongs. My daughter always makes such a face and says, "Mah-om. That's underwear." I have actually washed her Converse tennies, but they still are a bit disgusting!

Monica said...

We call them thongs here also on most days.

How could anyone be mad at that face! Too adorble and a good lesson teacher.

tera said...

I'd say that puppy needs some extra pets!

I think it's only fair you don't buy her new ones, I mean, you DID warn her... :) Tell her she can mow lawns for money for new ones, or whatever kids so for cash these days!

Susan said...

Good doggy!! Beats bacon, yes?

LiteralDan said...

Does it make me a bad person that I feel good about this? I don't even know her, but I know the type, and all I can think is, "ha-HA! That'll learn ya!"

Irish Gumbo said...

Terrible things get done by those in service to the Queen (grin)