Monday, September 7, 2009

memory dump

Since this is my diary...of sorts...and I want to remember the last four days, I'm going to record some of the events around Grammy's funeral.

Alzheimer's is an awful disease.  It robbed us all of this woman who was so integral to our lives.  But it took her from us years before she died.  It took her in a way that makes it incredibly hard to grieve.  I cannot feel sorry that she's gone.  She needed to be gone.  The horrible thing is that I'm having trouble remembering the good part.  The last time I enjoyed my grandmother was more than 10 years ago.  It was probably more like 20 years ago...at the time of my wedding.  Since that time she's just been slowly fading.  My mother put it best and I'm going to share that with you in a minute.

But first I want to say a word about my mother.  Yes.  She frustrates the hell out of me.  She drives me nuts and makes me spitting mad.  However, in many, many ways she is a wonderful woman.  She wrote the following over the course of the last three years.  Actually she wrote it three years ago when Grammy was put on Hospice.  She recently edited it when Grammy was put on Hospice the second and last time.

She asked my brother and I to read it at the funeral and again at Gram's graveside service, which was in another town...miles away and next to my Poppy's grave.  It is a beautiful tribute to a very special lady...and that's what my Grammy was...a lady. 

I think I'll probably spend this week doing a brain dump about Grammy.  I really haven't been able to wrap my brain around this and grieve.  I'm not sure when it's really going to hit me, full force.

In the mean time, Mom's words:

Remarks of Remembrance of Evie…by her daughter

99 years was it. It was a long time, and she let us know it was not what she expected! But she was a fighter and not one to give in or give up. You can all smile a little now, because we all know that she was not at her best during these last few years. I have to tell you it surprised me that her “spunk” was a quality her caregivers seemed to appreciate and admire.

The leaving of life at the end of one’s ninth decade is not an occasion for tears. When a person has lived a full and loving life, its end should be seen as the final step of a wonderful accomplishment. When a life has been lived completely honestly, completely successfully, the correct response to death’s perfect punctuation mark is a smile rather than tears. The highest tribute we can pay her is not grief but gratitude.

My parents worked in the Family Food Center together, Monday through Saturday, Mom in and out through the day, Dad staying until after six (and we were all there until at least midnight on Saturday.) In between all that, they did their share of the things necessary to be good citizens of Plainview. Every Sunday family gathered to talk politics, worry over the weather and the crops, play cards, and eat. Mom loved being a part of feeding everyone.

My favorite worrywart is gone. We used to tele-fret every day. Was Ross running too hard? Were our children eating right? Was I feeling okay? Had she unplugged the iron? It was always a comfort to know that, no matter what others may have thought of us, there was a little old lady upstate (and later across town) worrying about us. She delighted in the grandchildren Ross and I gave her and was happy to include L and J on her worry list.

It has been a long goodbye from those days until today. I have been a long time mourning the person that Mom used to be. The fact is, she has been like a photograph long exposed to sunlight, and all that time I have wanted the mother I always had. She was very fond of fun and shrewd about people. She taught us all how to be and showed us the way. At her best she could charm the birds from the trees. But lately she often asked if there were something she should be doing that she was not doing. She wanted to do the right thing and was afraid she wouldn’t remember what that was. More recently she said, “My heart hurts.” It was all I could do to reply, “So does mine.”

It is the end of near-royal status as a daughter, my little family’s simplest comings and goings followed and sometimes recorded, with neighbors and relations always updated. I should probably apologize for the glowing reports I suspect you received. This curator of my family museum actually retired a few years back. I have had to decide where to relocate memorabilia of a life well lived - generations of pictures, letters from family and friends long gone, certificates of appreciation for her volunteer work, significant china, silver and glassware, and numerous other things important to our history such as the quilts she and my grandmother made. She was a cornerstone of my world, a link with my past, but losing her has opened a door to wonderful memories.

I’m sounding a little sorry for myself today. I no longer have her to do it for me. I am diminished because I just lost one of the best jobs in the world -- being her child. But I take comfort in knowing that she is truly home at last. And one day we’ll meet again.

15 comments:

justmakingourway said...

"I am diminished because I just lost one of the best jobs in the world -- being her child."

That line just brought such tears to my eyes. What an amazing tribute. I hope all your good memories come back so the sadder ones can fade. Hugs to you and yours.

Bijoux said...

A wonderful tribute. So sorry for your loss, Laggin.

Tiny Dancer said...

That is a wonderful tribute from your mom, really wonderful. I have always thought the best job in the world is being a mom. How sweet your mom saw being a daughter just as great.

My suggestion for processing it all is to find a journal and write. Write with the intention that no one will ever see it. That way you can write whatever you want. Also, you may discover how you feel just in the act of writing.

Lots of hugs going your way!

Dread Pirate Davi said...

What a lovely, sincere tribute. I'm sorry for your loss, years ago and recently.

Anonymous said...

What an amazing tribute - she sounds like she was a wonderful woman.
To be able to feel gratitude through the grief shows just how much she meant to your family.

Monica said...

L,
Tiny Dancer is right, go write in a place that you can freely put how you feel. A place where no one will judge, no one can critisize. There you will find yourself, your feelings, your sorrow, your happieness.

I am so sorry for your loss, a HUGE hug for you and your family.

terin said...

((HUGS))

for a different kind of girl said...

"I am diminished because I just lost one of the best jobs in the world -- being her child."

This was a beautiful, heartbreaking, and just as joyful a tribute any person could ask for. And that sentence up there, near the end? It completely broke me. Completely.

I'm sorry for your loss. I do hope the good thoughts return to the front.

Zip n Tizzy said...

Beautiful tribute.
It is true when someone makes it to 99, a celebration is in order.
What a woman!

mathgeek said...

Thank you for the inspiration...I must work on the words I will say at my dad' memorial service in PA in a couple of weeks.

And yes, your mother has her wonderful ways. The message she sent me after dad passed was truly touching.

MsPicketToYou said...

oh that made me cry. condolences.

Dibs said...

Laggin, I'm so sorry to have taken so long to write to you.

I remember you and your mom talking of your grandma when we were in college, and (if I remember correctly) I believe Eldest's name is a tribute to her. (is that right?) When your mom spoke of her mother being like a fading photograph, it brought such a vivid image to my mind and tears to my eyes.

I'm so deeply sorry for the prolonged loss you and your family have felt.

Heather said...

And that is love. Simple and true. I am sorry for the loss.

Susan said...

That lump in my throat hurts - a lot. Beautiful words.

Irish Gumbo said...

(removinghat)

A lovely tribute. A little spot in my heart hurts, and goes out to you.