Tuesday, December 29, 2009

up to my neck

Psst.  You there. 

Yes, YOU.  Please look around and see if the extended family is really gone.  I'm afraid to go home from work.  Maybe some of them are still hanging around.

What?  You say the coast is clear?  Ok.  Then I'll go home. 

I guess. 

If I must.

Did you know that five days is a really long time to have your extended family living in your house?

I feel like last week is being recreated in my backyard everytime I look out there. 

Why?

Oh, you are so inquisitive.


Ok, I'll explain.

We had some snow here.  A LOT of friggin snow.  This picture with the table is exhibit A.

Car-man calls me Goose.  He has called me Goose for oh, say, 22 years and 24 days, give an hour or two.  (Yes, this is relevant.  Quit interupting.) 

One year he bought me a Goose Christmas decoration for the yard.  So very, very sweet of him.  Yet so incredibly tacky.  (Love you, hun.)  I decreed it a "backyard" decoration.  This is our Goose, in the backyard:


 (Yes, that is a penguin next to the Goose. No, I do not call Car-man "Penguin". The penguin is "Kid"...Terin and Mathgeek and maybe Dibs know why.  But I'm guessing you really don't care because if you do, this blog will never end.)

Anyhoo...the Goose came with two baby geese.  See them there in the snow?  Ok, here is a better picture.
Those baby geese are exactly how I felt most of Christmas...up to my neck and almost smothered.
So every time I look out of my kitchen window I see these poor, nearly smothered baby geese and feel a particular camaraderie.  Poor, poor baby geese.

On an almost-as-smothered-but-much-happier-about-it note, here is Hope frolicking in the snow.  She LOVES it....just as long as she doesn't have to pee in it.  I mean a dog has to have her standards, right?

9 comments:

Dibs said...

I thought of you often during those snowy days with all those people. Was there enough alcohol in your house?

We spent 48 hours at my parents' house without being snowed in (and without alcohol...) and I'm still too mad to blog about it. So you are definitely a better soldier than I.

Leslie said...

I got obliterated on Eggnog-tinis one night. And I managed to be drunk and silent. Sing along...oh silent buzz, the snow is quickly falling... Eh. You finish it.

terin said...

Sorry I missed all the snow. There was just enough southwards for us to call it a white Christmas.

So happy to see you back in the bloggy land.

Carolyn...Online said...

That snow is so pretty. I'm so glad it's not at my house. Wink.

Vodka Mom said...

Having the family home for the holidays? Requires a TON of vodka.

justmakingourway said...

Eggnog-tinis? I'm not big on eggnog, but that sounds pretty damn good. Happy to hear you made it through! Here's to 2010!

Susan said...

I'd have slit my wrists had I been locked up with my extended family. Actually, they would probably have done it for me.

Email me again, if you would, with an address to which I can respond. I want to tell you some stuff!!

Rock and Roll Mama said...

Oooh, snowed in with my own nuclear family is bad enough- (they call it Nuclear for a reason, n'est pas?)

Snowed in with everyone else=me digging out with my cold bare hands in a bathing suit and streaking for the 7-11. Hope you're thawed out!!!

Irish Gumbo said...

So if she won't pee in the snow, and she won't pee in front of you, where, pray tell, does she pee?