Wednesday, January 20, 2010

boys like girls

Last night I went to say goodnight to Younger.  I found her sitting on the floor of her bedroom doing extra credit, rocking out to music blaring from her computer speakers.

Part of that scene was normal; part, not so much.  Want to guess which?

I'll tell you . . . she's an extra credit kind of gal.

Rockin' out? Not so much.

I failed in instilling the rebel music gene in this kid. But here she was listening to something that could be considered rock.  A brief bubble of pride arose in my heart.

So I asked, as nonchalantly as possible, "What's this?", nodding at the computer.

"A mixed CD." 

I felt my head nod and my face pull into a look that conveyed "good for you" and "I like it" and my brain issued a silent "OOOH-RAH " (that yell the Marines use).

But I am sure a crease marred my brow, as my eyes drifted to the floor where there was one open CD case and one closed.  Realization dawned as I took in the scene.

The cover of the closed case was covered in messy handwriting . . . script I recognized from a former life . . . BOY scrawl. The open case still held a shiny black disk.  That disk was covered with a silver Sharpie inscription:

From Boy
Enjoy!

He made her what my aging brain can only think of as "mixed tapes" . . . an equivocating modern love letter.  Affectionate but not requiring direct admission of affection. 

It all depends on how you listen to the lyrics, right?

Oh god.

And as I was processing this, a song came through those speakers.  A song that I became familiar with three years ago, when Eldest fell deeply into the throngs of her first teen love.

My generation had that little ditty about Jack and Diane, two American teens growing up in the heartland.  Two kids, in love, running away . . . rejecting what the adults hold out for them, yet wanting to be grown in their way.  For my chickadees it is this song, the one blaring through Younger's room, "The Great Escape" by Boys Like Girls. 



Why is there no hard liquor in the house when I need it?

13 comments:

terin said...

Our girl is growing up.

justmakingourway said...

I think you should start stocking up on hard liquor. I don't think it's going to get any easier!

for a different kind of girl said...

My 12 year old son is just starting to listen to music, which makes me happy because that was what I was into at his age. What he hasn't done yet is listen to songs and think of girls, but gah! When that day comes! I wish you luck. I still have all my various mix tapes, and you're right. It's all about dissecting the lyrics.

tonkelu said...

It could be worse...

Dread Pirate Davi said...

Look on the bright side. She's listening to REAL music!!

Heather said...

I see this happen all of the time. High School love is a many faced thing and it is sooo real at the time.

Sigh. Remind her it's just practice for Love noy luv. :)

Bijoux said...

I like both of the songs you mentioned. Whenever I hear "jack & diane" I always thing of my MIL. She was a high school teacher and the line about "2 american kids doing the best they can" used to irritate the sh*t out of her! LOL!

Susan said...

Suckin' on a chili dog...you're welcome. Sigh.

Leslie said...

Susan, See...there was NO way that was the other Susan. (And it made me laugh. But then I threw up a little and am now going to go Google local convents.)

Susan said...

Wait, what's wrong with chili dogs? Is it the nitrates? preservatives? high fructose corn syrup?

;)

Zip n Tizzy said...

Makes me think of my mom grilling me on did I know what "darling Nikki" was about. I didn't, but I liked the way it sounded. Ah Prince, you raunchy man.

Hopefully younger has better taste in boys, but, either way, you shall survive. (Hopefully)

Monica said...

Ahh, the age of here come the boys!

My youngest (14) is noww also getting introduced to the boy thing. She is even getting brave and having them come to the house "to hang out". She claims they are all friends but a few regulars keep showing up. MD does his best grumpy face and stalks around the house. She just gives him a "what the heck are you doing look". Too funny.

Carolyn...Online said...

Ohhh.... they still make mix tapes? That makes me tear up.