Wednesday, January 6, 2010

things that make you go...really? And hmmm?

Younger does not know what the profession "homemaker" means.

Really? 

I explained that it means what she thinks of as a "stay at home mom".   She asked, "What if they don't have kids?"  Hmmm.  I suppose in that case the term "homemaker" is correct.  Or is it?

5 comments:

justmakingourway said...

Younger=awesome. When is she going to start blogging?

Bijoux said...

It's something I've wondered. I've never thought of myself as a homemaker because I don't make houses. Stay-at-home mom seems to be the better descriptor. If I wasn't a mom, I wouldn't be staying at home....it's boring!

Zip n Tizzy said...

Gone are the days when girls went to college to meet a good man and become a homemaker. I think making the choice between homemaker and SAHM on forms is my least favorite thing about being a SAHM.

Susan said...

Homemaker seems like an outdated term. You know how new words show up in wikipedia? We ought to be able to vote out the old, useless ones like homemaker. To me, that means someone who vacuums every day, makes bread and doesn't own a vibrator.

Susan said...

I had something insightful to say until the previous Susan completely derailed me.