Monday, April 25, 2011

easter

So I did something a little out of the ordinary on this holiday.  I said to heck with family obligations and told my parents that I really didn't want to get together this year.  I just wanted to stay home and be with my girls.  AND...believe it or not...I got no grief.

Oh...and, yes, that is an egg house ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

There were multiple reasons I did this.  First, I truly didn't want the pressure of a family get together.  Second, Eldest didn't want to...as she put it...celebrate the Risen Lord.  Which I respect, but my mother would not.  And, as I've mentioned before, I'm in my own crisis of faith right now.  No...that's not right.  It's not a crisis of faith...I do believe.  It's more like a grudge.  Which really...is so selfish and ridiculous...but until I get it figured out, I don't really feel like a big religious gathering.

However, when I told the chickadees it would just be us, Younger approached me.  She's been attending youth group at a friend's church.  She really loves this group and asked if we could go to church on Easter morning at that church.  So we did.  It was nice.  I wasn't "moved"...but I wasn't angry...and that's a start.  I like the people.  The music (which is crucial to me) was uplifting.  So who knows...  Maybe?

We had good food...just the three of of us...the bunny did not come, instead I bought them gift cards to Chipotle because (a) the burritos look like eggs and (b) they really will like it more than candy.  I have odd children in some ways.

Younger and I went to go see the movie Soul Surfer.  (Eldest wanted to be anti-social and stay home alone.)  I really, really enjoy that movie.  It tied well into my recent theme of "hope".

I hope that those of you who celebrate it, also had a good Easter.

I just had to show you the inside of the egg house too...to prove it's really a house.  Or sort of.  If you like incredibly small spaces.

2 comments:

Bijoux said...

My eldest LOVED that movie. It's not my cup of tea, but I've heard you either love it or hate it!

Sounds like a good Easter, probably because you did what you wanted!

Irish Gumbo said...

Easter Burritos! Whoop! Not sure what creature lays those...