I grew up in a Nebraska city on the prairie. Spending summers visiting a working family ranch....hogs, chickens and cattle raised to put food on the table; or staying with my grandmother in a small friendly farming town, where she owned the grocery. These are the sorts of place where, when you are driving through town and you happen to see a vehicle pass you on the road (you must understand that it doesn't happen very often) you raise two fingers--the index and middle--in a salute that says:
heythereiseeyouandimnotsureifiknowyoubutwearefriendlyaroundhere sojustincase...hey
But please remember...and this part is very important...the whole while you give that salute you don't full-on smile. You are allowed to nod. And you certainly do NOT raise your hand off the steering wheel. I mean, hell, they don't want you to go too overboard with the friendly stuff because they've got irrigation pipe to move or have just gotten word that the combine part they've been waiting on has arrived down at the co-op. Plus, there is pie at the diner and if they hurry, there is still a chance to catch a slice and not ruin supper. (Dinner is at noontime in these parts.)Photo from here.
So all this to say, despite living in river country, I remain a girl of the prairie. Yes, yes. I grew up in the city. But in terms of natural geography, I affiliate with the prairie.
Earlier this evening I was pondering upon the nature of this place I live; considering whether I could live in another. And that lead me to think of the lawless nature of my heart. I don't think it is held in place between the rivers. It is not pinched and moved by running water. My heart feels like the prairie. Open and slightly wild. A place where the wind ripples through the tall grass and the sky is bigger than anywhere else. A place where the grass is rooted but moves with the breeze...where that grass dances and sways its hips beneath the power of that which is bigger than it can dream of being on its own.
Yes, my soul is that of a prairie girl...untamed but rooted...glorifying in that which is bigger than me...under the great dome of big sky.
I leave you with the words of perhaps the greatest of all the Nebraska girls, Willa Cather from My Antonia:
“The earth was warm under me, and warm as I crumbled it through my fingers…I kept as still as I could. Nothing happened. I did not expect anything to happen. I was something that lay under the sun and felt it, like the pumpkins, and I did not want to be anything more. I was entirely happy. Perhaps we feel like that when we die and become a part of something entire, whether it is sun and air, or goodness and knowledge. At any rate, that is happiness; to be dissolved into something complete and great. When it comes to one, it comes as naturally as sleep.”

12 comments:
Big sky and open...seems like a natural that a heart would develop the way you describe.
Rootedness. Lawlesness. The imagery here of the grass like hips, and the sky...
A place for poetry. This is good.
My soul is like the mountains.....i was born in them, grew up in them, spent the best part of my childhood in them.... mountains take my breath away
and yet some part of my spirit is also drawn to the sea... i think that is the part of my ancestry though... for generations, my ancestors lived by the sea.
TGL...my heart may be that of the prairie but it sings in the mountains. If I could redesign my adult life from scratch, I would chose the mountains.
I love the way you write.
<3 you!
So much nostalgia for me in your post. My summers were spent near my mother's small Nebraska town on the farm where she grew up. Cather and her love for the prairie speaks to me as well.
Thank you for transporting me there this morning. It was good for my soul.
Would you be mad at me if I told you I thought 'My Antonia' was one of the most boring books I've ever read??
Bijoux, I found it boring the first time I read it too. Reconsidering it, I think she has lots of valuable things to say.
That was lovely.
And the two-fingered acknowledgment? Practiced in rural Minnesota as well.
:-)
Pearl
I'm a city kid myself, but I guess I lived closest to the mountains. The good kind too with real rivers and actual wild animals.
I always wave. Sometimes with both hands. Freaks the neighbors out.
Beautiful imagery. You spoke peace to my soul. Lovely.
I'm an east coast/island girl myself. Give me the ocean and mountains and the rain forest any day. ^_^
I love Willa Cather, especially My Antonia.
Post a Comment