"This morning--grey, cool, peace."
"Presently the two mares and the two colts came over to see me and to take a drink. The colts looked like children with their big grave eyes, very humble, very stupid, and they were tamer than I expected. They came over and nudged me with their soft muzzles and I talked to them a bit."
"Cool. Cows lowing in the mist. Long but rich night office."
This morning Merton was writing about the blessing of his vocation. As I read his words, I realized that he was writing of love. In his case, love for his calling to God. But in mine, he was just writing of the way nature grows and glows in love:
"The sky seems more pure, a cooler blue, the trees a deeper green, light is sharper on the outline of the forest, and the hills and whole world are charged with the glory of God, and I feel fire and music in the earth under my feet."
*Yes, TGL, the story of Otto the Bull is coming. It's just that this thought needed to escape first. :)

4 comments:
His mastery of that imagery is so good it makes me forget to be envious that I didn't write it first.
This growth and illumination comes through so well, as you point out, in love.
One might guess that he was striving for a thoughtful life, filled with love.
What a wonderful thing to live!
And a good one it is, this escaped thought of yours.
Love seems to be the very essence, the core of everything, doesn't it?
Just a thought. The one core truth about "God" (whatever or whoever you may perceive him to be) is that God is the very essence, the very embodiment of and the purest form of love.
Does that then mean that a life filled with love is a life filled with God?
Leslie, I'm just gonna curl up and live in this post for a while...k?
I've concluded you are just too deep for me, Leslie. I'm currently reading 'Whiter Shades of Pale' by the guy who wrote 'What White People Like' if that tells you anything!
Post a Comment