I spent much of this evening either bobbing around in a float in a lake or sitting on a bench at the end of a floating dock. In other words, I spent the evening floating. I returned to the cabin to shower and I realized I felt the bobbing sensation there with solid grounds beneath my feet. "Sea legs"--that illusion of movement where you know there is none but also a reference to learning to be steady on a pitching and tumbling boat.
This is such an apt metaphor for my life right now.
Here I am on this vacation with my girls. On a lake...swimming, eating, shopping, and tomorrow...drum roll please...boating. This is so out of character for me. I'm not the bravest person about doing things like boating. But I must get my sea legs, be brave, and makes these fun times with my girls. I need to swallow that fear and just do it.
At the same time, I also am learning that the rest of my life isn't pitching and swaying so much anymore. I am on firm ground. Safe. Dry. A place where I can relax. I like it here. With solid ground beneath my feet, the imaginary pitching and rolling needs to end.
6 comments:
Safe.... That one word contains an ocean's (or in your case - sea's) worth of emotion and feeling.
Nothing like feeling safe :)
Hoping that the safe feeling continues to be your reality. :)
To extend the metaphor, one of the best ways to calm seasickness is to watch a stable horizon. The sight of land nearby and getting nearer does wonders for a roiling stomach and dizzy head. I saw this work wonders, once, on a stormy-wracked ferry ride from France to England.
And it works on the seas inside my head. Here's to solid ground and safe havens!
It sounds like a perfect vacation to me and I hope you and your girls make some wonderful memories.
I know that sensation as "Dock Rock", that swaying & pitching that lasts long after you're off the water. The thing is, you can be an experienced sailor and have earned your Sea Legs, but you will still feel the dock rock after returning to firm ground. But it passes.
Glad to hear you're back on solid ground.
I am glad that you had a good trip and are feeling good about life, the universe, and everything. ;)
I just spent the day on the lake myself and can't wait to hear about your trip, amoungst other things.
Love you!
Good for you. I'm pleased you feel so solid in life. You certainly deserve that.
As for boating, I'm completely understand the fear. I'm always sure monster live in large bodies of murky water...
Post a Comment