Friday, August 5, 2011

diminutive memory

Someone called me darling.

This was not the "sugar," "honey," or "darling" of a saccharine sweet waitress in a diner.  This was, "I miss you, darling."  It was one of those statements that can do a heart good coming from lips that matter.

And then I was transported.

Flash to a page of pale yellow, lined paper.  Paper in a book with a drawing of a patchwork girl on the front.  Think Holly Hobbie in gilt and you'll have an idea of this mid-1970's image.  A book with a small antique-brass lock on the side.  A book containing many of my childhood memories.  A book known as "diary".  It was given to me around my 11th year.  I was, at best, a sporadic recorder of memories.  But still, this book records anger with my parents, irritation with my brother, injury at the hands of "friends" and thoughts about boys.  A read through some of those pages is a blush-inducing torment of childish crushes.  This book is the only way I know that the appellation "boy crazy" applied to me at one point in my history.

That book resides somewhere in this new home.  I just can't lay my hands on it right now to see the true contents of the specific page that spurred this "darling" memory.  But I remember the page, I can see that girlish scrawl, with the word darling (or at least a verisimilitude of the word as written by a less than stellar 11 year-old speller).  You see, I think I can remember the page so clearly because it said, "dahrling".

When I type it that way...dahrling...I can hear some old-timey movie star (think one of the Gabor sisters) saying, "Would you be a daaaaahrling and bring me something cool to drink?"  But at 11,  I wasn't channeling one of the Gabors.  I was just a dismal speller.

So why was an 11 year-old recording the word darling in her diary?  Because she was reading The Diary of Anne Frank.  In one of Anne's entries, Peter asks Anne for a kiss.  She apparently refused but when she writes about it, she calls him a "darling".  I remember thinking this was such a racy scene.  I suppose it was one of the first kisses I ever read about.* (And there wasn't even an actual kiss!) However, I was moved enough by the literary description to write about it in my own diary and record that I hoped someday someone would call me "darling". . . okay . . . "darhling", but can we just forget about the horrendous spelling?**

(Photo of Anne Frank's last house, from here.)

Flash forward 44 years.  Someone has called me darling.  It's nice to know that girlish dreams still can come true.
___________________________________________________________

*Although it wouldn't be long after this that I started "borrowing" my mother's books and clandestinely checking out books from the library with real kisses.

**Please don't ask why I didn't just look in the book to see how it was spelled.  Sigh.  Apparently, I was boy-crazy and lazy.

6 comments:

Pearl said...

I know the diary you are talking about. I can see it in my head, too. I can see laying on my stomach, on my bed, and writing all my deep, tumultuous thoughts...

How difficult it was to be a little girl!

:-)

Pearl

Irish Gumbo said...

It is a wonderful thing indeed, to have a cherished dream come true. And what a lovely way for it to happen!

Very nice....:)

That gentleman's lady said...

Absolutely lovely. Heartwarming. It brings a smile to my face.

When I was 15 16 17 my friends and I used to read romance novels by two particular authors and dream about having that kind of a romance. Victorian era highland Scot, often a bit older than the girl, a warrior of sorts, always the black sheep, stubborn, Sharp witted, charming, always gentle.to the heroine but not averse to conflict. You get the picture.

Apart from the Victorian era..... I got that. It makes me laugh even today.

Hope you are well :) xx

Bijoux said...

I loved writing in my diary and I have to admit, it was mostly about food and boys!

Dread Pirate Davi said...

I had a Lion King diary starting at age 10. My last entry was when I was...15, maybe 16? I went through many half-finished diaries and journals. I remember spelling "tomorrow", "tommorrow"; and "until", "untill". And I remember the boys...to many to count. I never spoke a word to more than half of them.

Wish I knew where that diary, and many others, had run off to...

for a different kind of girl said...

It's lovely to be a darling...