Thursday, September 29, 2011

they humble me

Early this morning . . . at 5:50, to be precise . . . I drove Younger and her bestie to drop them off at "The Walk" organized by a group called *The Coalition.  During The Walk 100-200 teenagers, dressed in black with a red "X" on their chest, walk a mile to school in silent solidarity to symbolize the children in Northern Uganda who commute from their homes to find a safe place to sleep for the night.

I watched these kids milling around in the dark before 6 a.m. (yes, I'm serious, teenagers voluntarily woke at 5 something in the morning) and I was impressed.  We all think of teenagers as the slobs in the mall, acting like inconsiderate jerks with their potty-mouths and bad attitudes.  But then, in a moment like this, I am reminded what great thinkers and believers teenagers can be.  They are bright and curious and they care.  They care about our world in a way that we older, allegedly smarter, and certainly more jaded adults do not.

I don't know about you . . . I care, but I rarely find the time or energy to do something like take a symbolic stroll at 6 in the morning.  Perhaps it is because I feel that their message--and the energy it takes to put forth--will be lost.  A great and honorable shouting into a void.

As I was contemplating these thoughts, I read my morning meditation and once again Merton spoke to me.  On September 19, 1961, he wrote:

[M]y awareness of myself as a personage with definite opinions and with a voice has kept me sensitive and afraid on a level on which most monks long ago became indifferent.  Yet also it is not good to be indifferent to the fate of the world on a simply human level.
So I am concerned, humanly, politically, yet not wisely.

And on September 29, 2011, as I read Merton's words, my thoughts responded to this wise monk with the simple thought that so much of humankind . . . or perhaps just adultkind . . . is concerned, humanly and politically, yet almost none of us care wisely or actively or as passionately as these kids.  
A house in Northern Uganda (photo from here)
So I ask, just when was it that we stopped being idealistic?  When did we stop believing we could change the world?  And maybe, just maybe we could all learn a thing about being wise from these teenagers.

*The Coalition is a club at their high school that works for three main causes: Uganda, Darfur and the organization Love 146 (a group dedicated to stop sex-trafficking in southeast Asia).  




4 comments:

Monica said...

I lost it in my 20s when I realized that no matter what I did to change something it rarely ever did.

:( Sad I know

That gentleman's lady said...

I know what you mean :)

College students used to amaze me like that. They are a bit more rational though. Sometimes.

It's the little kids that take the cake though. Somehow many of them have this deep feeling that they need to help others in the most basic ways. Sometimes they have twice the understanding of people our age.

Ducan said...

Sounds like the Younger has made a difference. :)

Irish Gumbo said...

I won't claim to speak for everyone else, but growing up, the realities of a harsh universe and the sheer bloody-mindedness of humans who don't give a damn has a way of breaking us down.

It is heartening to see that people, especially teenagers, can and do care. Gives a curmudgeon like me some hope :)