Sunday, October 2, 2011

she splays me open

This morning Younger and I were talking about my friend Kell's adorable new dog.  We were discussing the naming process.  Younger agreed that the name I suggested fit the new dog but she said, "I suggested Abu anyway.  From Aladdin?  I'm obsessed with that name for an animal.  I have to make it happen."  Then she looked out the car window, saw a man walking his dog and mock yelled, "Hey mister . . . name your dog Abu?"

I chuckled.

My dog, Hope, was in the car with us.  Younger longingly suggested I rename her Abu.  I declined.  She harumphf'd, crossed her arms across her chest and huffed out, "Fine," in the way that only teenagers can actually manage.  (You know . . . using that tone that suggests the world is full of dumbsh*ts and only they have any real understanding.  Which might be true . . . see here . . . but I digress.)  Then she said, "Even Mickalya wouldn't name her new cat Abu.  She named it Thumper.  Nice.  She named her kitten after my dead rabbit.  Can you believe that?"

Abu inside Genie's house
Feeling the need to steer us away from the dead pet rabbit, I said, "Truth is, I'm not sure Hope really cares what we call her.  Right, Refrigerator?"  Hope looked at me and wagged her tail.  (She's not real smart.)  "Huh, Stupid dog?"  Hope gave me a slobbery kiss.  "See?"  I said, "We could probably call her Abu and she'd never notice."

Getting into the swing of it, Younger said, "True.  But we would be better off . . . ," and here her voice trailed off into that sing-song intonation we use for dogs, babies and the very old, " . . . just calling her Mommy's desperate need to be loved."

Thanks kid.

Maybe I'll have Younger's name legally changed to Abu.  It would serve her right.

6 comments:

Irish Gumbo said...

If you change her name, she's gotta wear the hat.

kell said...

I've heard through the grapevine that Santa will be bringing SG a tree frog for Christmas (she's been wanted one since she was three).

Side note: CURSE YOU JOLLY FAT MAN AND YOUR COMPULSIVE NEED TO GIVE THE CHILDREN WHAT THEY ASK FOR.

*ahem*

Younger should start campaigning for the name Abu now. That said, she should probably be prepared to call it Jessica.

kell said...

*wanting.

Holy hell. Reading nearly 700 posts in a three hour period destroys my ability to properly use the English language.

That gentleman's lady said...

She's a monkey!!!

Sayyy..... Abu could do some real nifty tricks... can Younger do any tricks?

Crystal Pistol said...

Ha! Younger is a bright one, isn't she? Very clever. :)

Abu IS a cute name for a pet. It's been awhile since I've seen Aladin. LOVE that flick. I'm pretty sure I know every word of it.

Kara said...

Ah yes...teenagers and their savvy ability to strip us of all our pretenses.