Five thoughts rambling around in the cavern known as my brain on this grey spring Friday:
- I forget just how green the grass is in spring. For some reason the vibrancy of that color doesn't stay in my mind. By late fall the grass is so tired and parched that it doesn't have this color. It is that worn-out green hanging in my mind as the color of grass. I keep looking outside and I'm surprised; refreshingly so. I simply love spring. I suddenly want to get outside and start playing in the mud.
- Have you ever had a broken friendship that you wanted to mend but you didn't quite know where to start? A friend that you
really miss? I have one and it's weighing on my heart. While we are still friendly; we aren't what we used to be. Some of our past stands in the way. Much of it is my fault. I hadn't had enough life experience to properly handle what we went through. Now, we aren't the same kind of heart-to-heart friends. I think she feels betrayed. I wish I knew how to start the discussion. I wish she wasn't afraid of the discussion. (*Edited--I just realized this is a huge presumption on my part. Maybe I'm the one who's afraid.) I wish I didn't feel the black hole of missing her. That's why I'm writing this. I miss you. I'm sorry. (If you are reading this and thinking, what the heck is she talking about? This isn't about you. If that certain-friend reads this, she'll know. And if she doesn't read this? I'll keep thinking about it and I'll do something. It's time to fix it.) - I had a fabulous, VERY long meeting yesterday. This meeting started at 1:00 and I didn't get home until about 8. I think good things shall come from this meeting. Anticipation of these good things is making me feel peaceful. Odd feeling.
- It's race-weekend in good ole' KC. That means I'll spend at least part of my weekend at the Speedway. This doesn't really thrill me. But Car-man (I've decided that's what I'm going to call Hubby here) does things with me that he doesn't enjoy . . . like attend a million (or five) musicals each summer out at Starlight. So, I'll go to the races and try to appear happy about it. It's interesting that Younger, who is very close with Car-man, also dislikes the races. She's balking about going. But Eldest, who has a pretty difficult relationship with her dad, absolutely LOVES the races. She's actually considering turning down a Royals baseball game with Boyfrondo on Sunday in order to see Danica Patrick race in the Indy here on Sunday. Anybody care to wager on what she ultimately picks? I truthfully don't know.
- Tonight, we're going to a big fundraiser for church. Sounds boring, eh? It's surprisingly fun. Car-man, who doesn't even belong to this Church, and I really like going. That is WHEN we feel like laying out the $100 for two tickets. (Schees!) We're going with another couple we enjoy and with whom we don't get enough socialization. There will be a silent auction which usually has some great stuff. Then a buffet dinner done by some really good local restaurants--no nasty Knights of Columbus fish-fry at this church! Finally, there will be a live auction. The auctioneers are from a local western-wear store. They volunteer their time for charities. They wear 10-gallon white Stetsons and string-ties on western shirts! You must beware of bidding because if they see you, they come get down on their knees by you and sweet-talk you into bidding more and more. But best of all? You know we Catholics . . . the alcohol will be freely flowing. There will be kegs in the corner of the social hall and . . . my historical favorite . . . a slushy machine pumping out liquor laced slushies. Mmmmm. So bye-bye diet for this evening. I need some fun!
- Ok, so it's going to be a Friday "six"; much less poetic than a "friday five". As I re-read this entry it feels very . . . mundane. Very insignificant. Maybe that's because, sometimes, my life feels insignificant. I say this because I've started reading "Kaboom" (link on the left). He's a Lieutenant serving in Iraq and a beautiful writer. I'm very ambivalent about the war on a macro level. But these guys, who live it? I'm not ambivalent about them at all. I revere what they do. They put it out there, every day. When I read what he writes and then look at my drivel . . . well, I guess, it puts life into perspective. Thanks for what you do, Lt. G.
Today's house? It just felt appropriate for number two.
1 comment:
Mundane is what we know, sometimes, and all we need to know. It's okay.
Post a Comment