Saturday, November 29, 2008

fifteen

Who knew?

Taylor Swift is genius.

I REALLY am not a fan of country music. I've always said that country, opera and screamo metal are about the only music I don't enjoy listening to. Opera is growing on me.

I've failed deeply with one of the chickadees. If left to her own devices, Younger sways toward...brace yourself...bubble gum country. I know. I know. As a former punk...*sigh*...it's just too much to take.


All children can't be perfect. They must have flaws. And I haven't given up hope yet. If I must, I'm sure I can find a bubble gum country music rehab program. Somewhere.

Anyhow, I digress. Younger has just downloaded Taylor Swift's new CD. After thoroughly memorizing every single word to every single song she began hopping around me going, "Mom!! Mom!!! It's the best song EVAH. You HAVE to listen to it. Please? Please? Please?" Well, since she had me captive in the car on Wednesday morning and had her iPod, she insisted I listen.

In my opinion, other than the lyrics, if you've heard one Taylor Swift song, you've heard them all. I've already heard, "Mom, it's the best song evah," two other times for Taylor's "Our Song" and "Love Story." Both times I knew why she liked the lyrics but the music all sounds the same. And in my opinion, "Love Story" is to Romeo and Juliet as Barbie is to baby dolls. Bastardization.

This "amazing" song? It's the same damn melody and beat, but the lyrics? The lyrics are pure teen genius. Really...


In case you've never been a teenage girl? In case you are raising or will raise one? This IS absolutely, exactly the truth. It's not musical genius. But it is a VERY accurate look at this age. (In case you can't stand the music, I gave you just the lyrics below.)

You take a deep breath
And you walk through the doors
It's the mornin of your very first day
You say hi to your friends you ain't seen in a while
And try to stay out of everybody's way
It's your freshman year
And you're gonna be here for the next 4 years
In this town
Hopin' one of those Senior boys
Will wink at you and say 'I haven't seen you around before'
Cuz when you're fifteen, somebody tells you they love you
You're gonna believe them
And when you're fifteen
Feelin' like there's nothin to figure out
Count to ten
Take it in
This is life before you know who you're gonna be
Fifteen
You sit in class next to red-head Abigail
And soon enough you're best friends
Laughi'n at the other girls
Who they think they're so cool
We'll be out of here as soon as we can
And then you're on your very first date
And he's got a car
And you're feelin like flyin
And you're momma's waitin up
And you're thinkin he's the one
And you're dancin around the room when the night ends
When the night ends
Cuz when you're fifteen, somebody tells you they love you
You're gonna believe them
And when you're fifteen
And your first kiss makes your head spin around
But in your life you'll do things
Greater than datin the boy on the football team
But I didn't know it at fifteen
When all you wanted
Was to be wanted
Wish you could go back
And tell yourself what you know now
Back then I swore I was gonna marry him someday
But I realized some bigger dreams in life
And Abigail gave everything she had
To a boy who changed his mind
And we both cried
Cuz when you're fifteen, somebody tells you they love you
You're gonna believe them
And when you're fifteen
Don't forget to look before you fall
I've found time can heal most anything
And you just might be who you're supposed to be
I didn't know who I was supposed to be
at fifteen
Your very first day
Take a deep breath girl
And take a deep breath as you walk through the doors

3 comments:

For Myself said...

Funny to read these lyrics after recently re-accessing and writing about my sixteen year old crush on my now husband.

Huh.

miko564 said...

Laggin-I am officially giving my notice. I am no longer reading your blog.

I am going to enjoy the Monkey, at age 4, when the only man she is in love with...is me.

She will not grow up to be a teenager...she will not grow up to be a teenager...she will...

DKC said...

Yup. From what I recall from being 15, that sums it up to a tee.

Scary!!