Thursday, July 23, 2009

the stuff taking up my brain space

Over the next few days I'll try to hit upon the things that have been wasting space in my brain over the last few non-blogging weeks.

Today I shall share more on my mother.

As background, last night I had a girls-night-out with a group of lovely friends...including RL friends Terin, Tonkelu and Mama McShortie who also reside in blog-land, and the other two read here but won't write ("hi" J and S!!!) We started with sangria and tapas, later moving to an outdoor concert of Jack's Mannequin and The Fray. Although many of us were disconcerted by the feeling that we might have given birth to members of Jack's Mannequin, it was a great night. But I digress.

At the concert there were two teenagers a few rows in front of us who were awkwardly hilarious. We mocked them mercilessly. She was gorgeous and exotic...too gorgeous for him. We figured he comes from money. He did not know where to put his hands but couldn't keep his hands off her. As Tonkelu said, her six-year-old son has smoother moves than this kid. And he was clearly sporting wood for his date most of the evening. We did not need to observe their grind-o-dance. Ugh.

(It's a WOOD house...hee hee.)

Anyhow, I updated my Facebook status from my phone to say: "Laggin wants to warn teenagers ... if you grope your date at a concert, the 'older' ladies behind you WILL mock you."

I ended up with many comments, including an old friend who commented, "or wish they were a teenager again." I responded saying, "Nah, I don't need a publicly excited boy trying to figure out where to put his hands. He's mortifying us because he's just a little TOO into her, in an embarrassing sort of way."
All kind of funny, right?

Then my mother piped up.

(May I have a collective sigh, please?)

Her comment on my status read, "Please verify the 'her' is not one of your girls!"
Yup, you've got that right. Mom is worried that Facebook will believe it was one of my daughters being groped at the concert. Good grief. I refused to verify anything for her and am just letting her worry over it. Puhl-eeze.
Facebook still thinks I'm a bastard and I'm ok with that.

Another one of those things that has been taking up my summer is funerals. A favorite great-uncle died last week. Eldest and I travelled up to my brother's place (he lives about 1.5 hours from where the funeral was). We spent the night with him and his two kids--he happened to have custody that week. Then the five of us drove to the funeral together. Bro and I both wanted to go because this man and his wife were very special to us when we were kids. This couple's kids and grand kids are still special to us.

After the funeral, my mom came over to Bro's car and said, "Thank you so much for coming. You put my cousins' kids to shame."

We drove off. I looked at Bro and said, "I didn't know it was a competition."

Could she be just a wee bit more consumed with what everyone else thinks of us?

At least I'm starting to find some sort of dark humor in it all.

12 comments:

Dibs said...

This is why I keep my mother as far from facebook as possible.

When Farrah Fawcett died, my mother made the comment, "What a tragedy that she and Ryan O'Neil weren't able to get married before she died." What, are we Mormon now and nobody told me?

I don't get the competition thing either...

Amy said...

For a minute there, I thought we had the same mother. Then I saw that yours is on Facebook. (Whew!)

To what Dibs said...I found it so odd that people made that comment about Farrah and Ryan. Odd as in, "What in the hell difference would it make, you moron?!"

I love The Land of Blog. It makes me feel like less of an anomaly.

Kate said...

My mother-in-law talks about "points." As in "Well, three of MY children showed up to Great Grandma's party, so I get 3 points!" What is this, a basketball game?

She is not on Facebook- just the thought of it...*shudder* Ugh.

falstaff said...

I am glad to know that my mother is not the only one who "keeps score" at funerals!

Congratualtions for playing on the winning team...err...you know what I mean.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Bijoux said...

Posts like this is why we've missed you....si much good stuff. And I could also do without the public grinding. I'm not sure which is worse - seeing teens doing it or 50 year olds at a Fleetwood Mac concert.

Dread Pirate Davi said...

I will forever rue the day my father joined Facebook. He once lectured me for my use of the f-bomb in a status update...by commenting on said status. For everyone to see. Reminding me that my family members on Facebook were "watching" me. A friend of mine promptly mocked me for this. Srsly?? WATCHING me?? He makes it sound like they're stalking me throughout cyberspace, just waiting for me to make a wrong move. GR.

Rose Brier Studio said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tiny Dancer said...

Facebook & my mom would be impossible! There are times I never want to see my mom again, and particularly not get her phone calls.

Thinking things run in families, I was terrified I'd never see my daughter again when she didn't need us financially. Lucky for me my daughter seems to like me. And also lucky for me, she pushes me to be less like my mom!

DKC said...

Finding the humor - no matter how dark - is what keeps us going!

It's funny, I thought once I dropped off of facebook I would miss it terribly. Not so much. (But then I don't have teenagers to keep an eye on!)

Anonymous said...

sometimes it is not the teenagers we have to worry about is it

Zip n Tizzy said...

You just reminded me of the time I was at a concert (as a teenager) and did a double take only to confirm that yes, the couple in front of me was having sex on the dance floor. Eww.

I have a real love hate with facebook, and like Dana, I'm not sure I'll miss it if I leave it.

I would however, miss stories about your mother. So please keep us posted!

Irish Gumbo said...

A real roller coaster, huh? Wow.

Plus, mocking teenagers like that? Double plus good :)